Saturday, October 30, 2010

As time in Querétaro comes to an end...

I just wanted to share with you what I've been up to in the lovely city of Querétaro, Querétaro, México for the past 3 months.

Everyday, I wake up like this:



And I go to school to learn Español for about 5 hours, where we try our best to converse about topics such as comida, cultura, tradiciones, política, la guerra de narcotrafico, imigración, y anecdotas de vida en los Estados Unidos. Yeah, we've been talking about things I rarely discuss in English and probably all sound like 3 year olds voicing their opinions on the next presidential election or the war in Afghanistan.

Then we have comida. Which usually consists of something incredibly deliciously greasy and fattening or what is most commonly referred to as "Vitamin T" : Tacos, Tamales, Tortillas, Tortas, Tequila (not during school of course), and Tostadas.



After comida, we are enlightened in lectures about health, safety, land ownership in Mexico, the history and political situation in Mexico, and environmental awareness. On our sector days (which just means we don't have Spanish class) we have gone to land fills, recycling collection centers, Indigenous communities, and botanical gardens to learn more in depth about environment and small businesses.


Then I go home to my familia to possibly do a little homework / studying, have cena, and watch "Soy Tu Dueña" .

On the weekends, I generally start my day at my favorite little cafe, Sucre Sale where I have my only Mexican friend besides our teachers and PC staff, Alma. We talk about all sorts of things like her favorite movie, Amelie (which she named her daughter after), interracial dating, and how life in the city is so different than in the communities but she believes that God takes care of everyone. If I come at night, she gives me free bread too.

And then most weekends have been filled with day trips to pyramids, hot springs, wineries and mountains or tours around the city of Queretaro. We have a cultural passport that is supposedly meant to transform us into Mexican citizens in which we have to complete at least 17 activities that include going to cultural events, making Mexican food, and basically taking advantage of everything we can while we're here, so that has made us all get out and explore the city and surroundings.


All in all, I know we are all getting antsy and anxious to be done with training and start our official Peace Corps experience in all of our respective sites, but I really can't complain too much about the past few months, because even though I am fatter and super tired at the end of each day, it has so far been a great start to our time in Mexico. 

No comments: