Wednesday, August 09, 2006

I found Peanut Butter!

This week has been mostly about making this place home to me. I am very accustomed to coming home (to my dorm) from classes and making peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, but here, they don't even know what peanut butter is. I went on a journey to find peanut butter and after vigorous searching in 2 stores, my host mom took me to find some. When I found the holy peanut butter, it was dusty because no one that even works in the store knows it's there and when I went to pay for it, the cashier asked me what I was going to do with it.

Other things I did to make myself feel at home were I bought a Cosmo in Spanish and made myself dinner one night. All in all, I feel pretty much at home except in a much more exciting place with much more to do, and a bigger challenge to communicate.

And we're already traveling. Tomorrow, we go to San Pedro, a little town by the river. And we'll spend the night there and tour the area. Bueno!


P.S. to answer some questions:
When do they have dinner? around 9. (It's a good thing I walk a lot)

Are people generally friendly (not just to good looking young girls?) yes, very friendly and helpful and when they hear my gringa accent, they want to speak English

How is the cost of living - hotels, restaurants etc? the cost of living is pretty good here, but mostly because we have the American dollar. But in comparison, it's about the same as in the states with the peso.

What are the nice hotels in the city like? They are very nice and ritzy. I live pretty much in the city center and I pass super luxurious hotels on the way to class every day (but that might just be the lobby)

Any golf course near by? yes, but I don't know where

No comments: